Friday, January 8, 2010

The Love Letter



Long sentimental post ahead, feel free to skip if necessary. Blame the hidden romanticist persona of mine. =D


p/s I know I don't usually post these kind of things up, so don't be expecting too many of these 'die-hard Casanova' posts any time soon. Think of it as a sparingly taken 'delicacy'. haha!
_______


A few nights back, while sitting on the balcony under a full moon, I wrote this entry in my prayer journal.

A love letter to my future partner
I have no idea who she is at the moment, nor do I plan to find out before the right time. Heck, I may not even have met her yet. Still, I knew it was time to just pen it down afresh as a reminder of my commitment.


I felt challenged to type this out on my blog, probably as an eye-opener to some of you, or even a form of encouragement to those who hold the same principles as I do. And for the majority of you, this will probably help you understand a little more why I do the things I do.


The following letter contains material both applicable to the present and the future, so please be oblivious to the use of tenses. :)

_________


Dear future partner - whoever you may be,

Hey there! I may or may not know you yet, but here goes anyway.

Thank God that He brought you to me! I have been waiting so long for you! Waiting... the word sounds so cliché all of a sudden, doesn't it?
I can tell that you're probably wondering why I do the things I do. Why I am so crazy on 'waiting till the right time' or 'taking time out to think and pray about it first'.

Let me assure you, it's all done for the best of the both of us.
It's all done, because I would love you too much.

I would wait, because I want to know it is gonna last forever.
I would wait, so that we will know are both suited for each other before we step into a relationship.
I would wait, so that we can be sure we will not be walking into a mistake that might scar both of us for life.
I would wait, because I want to be ready to take care of you. To be able to grow to become a mature, selfless individual, not the one I am now.
I would wait, because I want to know that I can support you and a family physically, emotionally, financially, for a lifetime.
I would wait, because I want to know you before we begin something so important as a relationship. Not just our likes and dislikes, but something deeper, such as our passions, what drives us, our dedications, our expectations, our commitments, our faith. To know that we are two souls wandering on the same page.

I would wait, because I would wait on God. His time is perfect, so why forfeit the blessing He has for us by taking it into our own hands?


Dear partner,
What I believe is, love does not happen at first sight. That's called an infatuation. Love grows over time, just like a seed that is so carefully nurtured to blossom into a beautiful apple tree.
Gather the apples too early, and the products are sour. Why? Because the season is not right.
But pluck them off at the perfect moment, and what you get is the perfect fruit that's pleasant to both the tongue and the heart.
That's what I want our relationship to be like. An everlasting bond that will be filled with sweet memories, not the sour ones that come so often with a rushed relationship, especially since they tend to never last.


Dear partner,
I believe that love, is not just physical. I'm pretty sure you know that too. It breaks my heart to see so many of my peers, with so much potential, lose sight of what true love actually is.
Love is intellectual, and our love would not allow our actions to be rash and without thought. Our love would know how to think for each other's best interest, and deal with issues through patience and forgiveness.
Love is emotional, and our love will want to protect each other from the dangers of physical lust.
Our love would set boundaries to guard our hearts from guilt, shame, sin and eventual pain.
Love is spiritual, and our love would not stumble our spiritual walk with God. Our love for each other would glorify God, put God first, and just deepen our love and desire for Him.


Dear partner,
How would we know the time is perfect?
After we agree that there is some emotion between us, let's take some time to sit back, to let it grow. Let's be accountable to the people we trust, the mentors, the people who have seen it, gone through it all before. Let's entrust them to tell us whether we are ready, all the while preparing our hearts and soul for the next step that is togetherness.
Once the green light is given, and we are certain that our stands and beliefs are steadfast, then I'm pretty sure it's a divine matchmaking and that we can go ahead with a relationship. :)


Dear partner,
At the end of the day, doesn't the test of time really show the true character of our love? Wouldn't the ability to hold back show how deep and genuine our love is? How much in love we really are with each other?
So, let's just make our love a testimony to our children and people around us, let's make it known that it doesn't hurt to wait, that it doesn't hurt to be sure that our love, relationship and marriage will last forever. Let's make it known, that true love waits.
The ring on my finger, already signifies the commitment that I have made, and I haven't regretted it one bit.


Am I ready? I definitely am not. I'm still growing, still changing, still maturing. I've still many issues to deal with, still not the person I want to be.
I only want to be the best I can be, for you, and for God.

So wait with me, and let's make our love an everlasting one.
The perfect love story.


"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7


Lord, I commit it entirely to you. You have, and will never let me down, so I only want Your best for me, and nothing less. Your choice, is my future.


With much love, now and always,
Shaun

13 comments:

  1. dude, tht was sum pretty deep stuff.

    really good... the commitments & stands u hav made... u inspire me dude... now i understand much better why u so semangat on waiting and all... yr future girlfriend would be very lucky to hav u..

    if only every other young person saw relationships the way u do... we will have hardly any other breakups or relationship problems...

    i hoping all the best for u... u will definitely not regret yr decision :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leong! Hope it was a blessing to you as well! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend from MichiganJanuary 9, 2010 at 1:35 AM

    Hey Shaun,

    So good to see you act so mature and rational even in this decision of your life. Its touching to see that there are still people of this current day and age who hold onto such fine values, even in the area of BGR.
    This post is truly a gem in this dirt-filled world full of broken bonds and sour relationships.
    Remember that God makes all things beautiful in His time. I shall be supporting you all the way Shaun!

    Regards,
    Tristan

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Tristan! So good to hear from you! Thanks for the encouraging words bro :)

    So how's it like over there? When you coming back?

    ReplyDelete
  5. put excellently bro! (:

    ~JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friend from MichiganJanuary 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM

    Lifes here has been good, met up with a lot of people from around the world.

    Ill be back for a holiday sometime in June. Shall we meet up then?

    Tristan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most definitely bro! See you in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. of course Kor must say something right :) well written, lets wait on the right person together must most importantly wait on the creator and to love God more everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shaun Shaun Shaun :D

    this post explains a lot of your character, like you said :) and yeah it just screams out why you do the things you do, which in my opinion is awesome. hold strong to those virtues and principles! and stay awesome! will be praying for your perfect love story to come in God's time and neither before nor AFTER his time! :)

    all the best bro :)
    JOEL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Joshua thanks! Remembering that as well!

    @Joel whoa... much appreciated bro. Thanks for the prayer, and im believing it'll turn out great, for BOTH of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. can i forward this in my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Btw, Rachel Wan here. Beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Rachel, :) Sorry for the late reply.

    Sure you can, feel free to!

    ReplyDelete